The Demise of KaiOS - Alcatel 3088X
I was recently looking for a button phone that had only three requirements:
- very good battery run time, at least several days or a week of standby without charging
- easy backup or even synchronization of the contacts
- VoLTE support to benefit from LTE coverage
- the battery performance is dismal, less than 48h (2 days!) standby sitting on my desk and doing nothing.
- the KaiOS store is broken, it only shows "Connection Error". So I can't even install the PhoneCopy app to test the contacts sync. I am not the only user with this problem, somebody reported it on Reddit 8 months ago.
- VoLTE doesn't actually work, at least not with this phone and not with the German SIM cards I have that support VoLTE on Android. It is unclear if all 4G KaiOS phones support VoLTE or only some.
To top it off, the Google Assistant built into KaiOS cannot voice dial contacts. Instead it politely points out that this feature is not supported any more. So Google or KaiOS turned it off, just like that. Like "we don't care about our users" off.
I contacted Alcatel via their support form, but haven't received an answer – I can only assume that there is no customer support for these phones.
Here is a short demo of some of these problems: